For the first time last night, it has occurred to me that parents who decide to have a reality TV show, film their children & have cameras in their faces 24/7 (Jon & Kate and the Teen Moms... I'm talking about you...) are freaking crazy.
I would never, ever, EVER sign up for something like that, and here's why-
Joey fell off the changing table last night.
(He's just fine).
There, I said it. Now it didn't happen while I was in charge-- ah hem... I wasn't even home-- but even still, it happened.
They said it would. I didn't believe them. When he was a newborn people would tell us-- get ready because he will fall off, he's going to fall, and there's really nothing you can do because it's going to happen, it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I was determined to prove these crazies wrong...
The story goes- I left about 5:15 to run a quick errand, at 5:16 when I had driven approximately 400 yards from the house, I check my phone instinctually, only to see that I already had a missed call from home-- only to call home and hear the baby crying & Brett in an absolute panic. The kid was just fine, he somehow managed not to kill or paralyze himself which was always my biggest fear OBVIOUSLY!, and was back to his giggly goofy self by the time I ran into the house (3 minutes later).
To get back to the subject of reality TV... This was ONE incident that I am willing to admit has put another "parent of the year" award on our shelves. There have been others, and there are bound to be plenty plenty more in the future.
What I realized when I woke up this morning is that if I were to be one of these insane reality TV stars-- that incident would have been broadcasted for millions of people to see, bloggers to give their opinions about, the Babycenter.com Moms of August 2010 would have fed me to the lions, and authorities to possibly be called for this. And it would have been played over, and over again. (Remember when Kate spanked her daughter, who for sure was probably being naughty, and people went nuts? Or when the girl from Teen Mom left her daughter in the sink while she was taking a sink bath and she turned the faucet on and the water was too hot? The web went nuts-- me passing my own judgments-- and these poor women were just doing the best they could... I totally get it now).
I'll take my private (although not anymore) oops, and have the power to replay it only in my head.
So for all the offers I've been getting to have my own reality show... no thanks. ;)
So my question now is what are the reasons you've had a "parent of the year" award on your shelf? I'd love to hear, just to feel somewhat normal again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.